In the agricultural sector, the recruitment process for day laborers is becoming more difficult every day, as the workforce demand increases every season. Therefore, companies need to improve their recruitment strategies and at the same time improve their job offers.
The recruitment and hiring activity are the right process to find suitable staff for the company, once the needs of the job are identified, the right candidate is selected for hiring.
Within our Veggies from Mexico community, some companies choose to send in-house recruiters (social workers and/or crew managers) to communities in southern and central Mexico such as Guerrero, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Veracruz, San Luis Potosi, Hidalgo, and other areas to offer the available vacancies and thus ensure that there are no misunderstandings.
In this way, the company’s staff answers all the doubts generated among the applicants and makes sure that they have and comply with the hiring requirements, for example, that they are at least 18 years old.
The process is as follows:
1. Before the start of the agricultural season, a projection is made of the number of staff that will be required to be hired,
2. The assigned recruiters by the company go out to the communities to offer the available vacancies. They must make clear the policies and regulations established by the company, as well as the benefits it will provide, for example, if it offers free housing, what are the conditions of coexistence, conservation of spaces, and regulations, among others.
3. Once the staff has been selected and before their transfer to the company’s facilities, a list of people is made, broken down by families, number of workers, students, and children (comming with the workers).
4. During the trip, it is the company’s responsibility to ensure that the personnel are comfortable and make the necessary stops to hydrate and feed the workers and their families.
5. Upon arrival at the company, staff are welcomed, rooms are assigned, continue with the hiring process, and are given training with the necessary information about the company’s regulations and policies.
6. Once the employment contract ends, the same process is carried out for the workers’ return to their homeland.
The entire recruitment, hiring, and transfer process is free of charge for the worker; any expenses incurred are absorbed by the contracting company.
The staff’s transportation process must comply with all the security measures and fill in the documents required by the competent authority.
Thanks to this process, the hiring of unsuitable personnel is avoided, since in the past there was an extra cost to return the workers to their place of origin because they did not meet the hiring requirements.
So, in each agricultural cycle, it is necessary to look for better strategies to find suitable employees and offer better benefits to root them in the company so that they keep coming back year after year. When the workers return, the company has trained and experienced personnel who are familiar with the processes implemented in the company and even increases productivity.