We are pleased to share with you the interview with Griselda Medina and Susana Figueroa about the details of the AMHPAC Convention to be held August 23-25 in Cancun, Quintana Roo, both are very important members of the AMHPAC team and a key part for the success that makes the congress one of the best events in the fresh produce industry.
“What I like most about participating in the Annual Convention, is that I can personally meet the growers I talk to throughout the year” – Griselda Medina
Griselda is a founding collaborator of AMHPAC with 15 years in the member services team she has been directly involved since her early days in the organization of the Convention, currently in addition to the coordination activities of the event she is dedicated to assisting growers’ members with any questions about the organization, collection of dues and the membership process from start to finish. In the Convention area, she coordinates the registration of members and the public.
From questions 1 to 5, Griselda Medina, Member Service Coordinator, answers.
1. Could you tell us about the next edition of AMHPAC’s Annual Convention:
The most outstanding event of Protected Horticulture in Mexico will be celebrating this year its 15th edition. That is why we will take the opportunity to celebrate with all attendees the anniversary of this organization and analyze the current situation of the fruit and vegetable industry, as well as the risks and opportunities that exist in the sector.
This year, from August 23 to 25 in Cancun, QR, we expect the presence of representatives from the United States, Canada, Holland, France, Chile, and Mexico, and growers mainly from the states of Queretaro, San Luis Potosi, Baja California, Sinaloa, Jalisco, Puebla, Hidalgo, Coahuila, Guanajuato, Michoacan, Aguascalientes, Morelos, Zacatecas and CDMX.
2. What is the objective? Who is the target audience?
To analyze the business environment and will strengthen relationships among participating decision-makers.
The AMHPAC Congress is aimed at national and international leaders of the fruit and vegetable industry, growers, government officials, supply chain representatives, researchers, and consultants related to this sector.
3. How will the general program be structured?
The event starts on August 23 with the AMHPAC Ordinary General Assembly, during which the AMHPAC National Board of Directors meets to report on the activities carried out throughout the 2022-2023 period in favor of the Members and Protected Horticulture in Mexico. In addition, the lawyers who represent us in Mexico and the United States present a report on the negotiations of the Tomato Suspension Agreement.
On August 24 and 25, the program of activities will include 5 lectures and 2 discussions with the participation of experts in the most relevant topics of the industry. Some of the speakers are:
– Juan Cortina, President of CNA.
– Maria Dolores Aguirre, Founding Partner of the law firm Aguirre, Aguirre y Asociados.
– Devin Sikes, Representative of the law firm Akin Gump.
– Lance Jungmeyer, President of FPAA.
– Macario Schettino, Socio-political analyst who participates in the weekly program “Dinero y Poder”, on Channel 11.
– Jorge Villarreal, General Director of Metaliser.
– Ines Masallach, Marketing Director of IMALINX.
– Luis GyG, Content creator and one of the most influential speakers in digital entertainment and artificial intelligence.
On the other hand, we will have a commercial area where AMHPAC Sponsors will have a booth as part of the benefits of their membership to serve their customers/prospects and expose their products/services in an environment that distinguishes this event.
It should be noted that alternately to the conference program, meetings will be scheduled between growers and vegetable traders, as part of the Trade Mission in which, this year, more than 15 companies dedicated to the sale of fresh produce in the United States and Canada will participate.
4. What other activities will take place during the convention that will benefit attendees’ networking?
There will be 3 networking events:
– Welcome cocktail: on August 23, at the end of the Members’ Assembly, the icebreaker event will be held for all attendees.
– Race on the beach: on August 24 in the morning, more than competing, what we are looking for with this activity is to run to have fun with our colleagues in an atmosphere of camaraderie.
– The Retro Fest/Dinner). On the evening of August 24, we will celebrate AMHPAC’s 15th anniversary to the rhythm of the 70s, 80s, and 90s, accompanied by many surprises.
5. What are the main benefits that visitors get from participating in the convention?
It is an excellent opportunity to meet the entire AMHPAC operational team. In addition, it is the ideal time to approach the lawyers who are experts in the Tomato Suspension Agreement at the host hotel with questions.
On the other hand, a range of options for marketing their vegetables open by participating in the Trade Mission meetings.
During the Assembly, AMHPAC members learn about all the activities carried out by their organization during the 2022-2023 period. In addition, they can give their opinion on the topics that are presented and vote for or against.
For the public, this is an extraordinary event that will allow them to make friends who can become their customers, allies, and even business partners.
Certainly, with your presence, our sector will be strengthened by the exchange of information that will improve decision-making.
Susana Figueroa has a degree in Communication Sciences from the Universidad de Occidente. Her background includes experience in journalism and as Communications Manager at AMHPAC for more than 13 years. Susana has different roles in the Congress organization, from the registration of sponsors, coordination of the commercial area, logistics of the race, and its promotion in the media.
From questions 6 to 8, please answer: Susana Figueroa (Manager of Communication and Sponsors Service).
6. How many attendees do you expect in this next edition?
We expect 400 members of the industry to attend.
7. According to your experience, what have been the main business opportunities for attendees?
Our Sponsors (suppliers of inputs and services) could approach their potential customers in a relaxed environment with great opportunities to position their brand.
As is well known, the event will bring together consultants, representatives of seed companies, greenhouse builders, net, agricultural plastics, and substrates manufacturers, who will offer teip products and services to farmers attending the event, generating business opportunities.
How important is it for growers to belong to agricultural associations such as AMHPAC and how important are events such as the Annual Congress?
Growers need to belong to associations such as AMHPAC that represent them in contingency situations and that also show us as a united guild.
It should be noted that in AMHPAC, in addition to grouping growers, vegetable exporters, and input suppliers, we also have alliances with organizations representing different links in the industry that will accompany us this year at the event, such as CAADES, CABC, APHYM, ANEBERRIES, APEAM, CNA, AHIFORES, Veggies from Mexico, INTAGRI, GreenTech Americas, Embassy of the Netherlands, IFPA, FPAA and TIPA, among others.
On the other hand, it is important to participate in this type of event as it allows us to stay close and generate alliances with all the links in the industry.
8. Anything else you would like to add?
This year the topics to be addressed during the conference cycle are particularly important for the development of the sector:
– Opportunities in the Fruit and Vegetable Industry.
– Expectations of the Tomato Suspension Agreement (TSA).
– New retail strategies.
– Analysis of Mexico’s socio-political and economic environment.
– Experiences of the stakeholders in the fruit and vegetable sector to run a successful company.
– The value of sustainability in the sector.
– Artificial intelligence as a tool for our industry.
If you are a vegetable grower, you can still register for the event and reserve a room at the host hotel. More information: