In an interview for Veggies From Mexico, Griselda Camacho Beltrán, Food Safety and Certifications Manager at SL Agricola, S.A. de C.V, shares with us her experience within the farming industry.
SL Agricola, is a company located in Ruiz Cortinez, Guasave, Sinaloa with a mission: “To be a company emphasizing social responsibility along with sustainable actions, and committed to quality assurance”.
1. Would you mind sharing a little bit of history about the company and the position you hold?
-In 2007, two families of farmers joined their ideas and experiences to start a company that is now SL Agricola, S.A. de C.V.
-I am the Food Safety and Certifications Manager.
Could you tell us about your professional experience?
I started in SL Agrícola doing professional practices. I get a job offer after I completed my practices and I took it. I started as a food safety assistant in packaging on 2011, supporting the development and presentation of food safety certifications. In 2016, I stayed as the head of the program, being the coordinator of the Food Safety and Certifications area.
3. What do you like the most about your job?
Being the coordinator that works behind certifications and the process of compliance work standards of the food safety and health program is rewarding. Just knowing that the work being performed is intended to protect life; first, with collaborators engaged in production; and second, with our clients who consume the products.
4. What challenges have you faced when instilling a culture of food safety in workers?
I believe that changing paradigms is the most difficult part we have dealt with in the teaching process.
5. How important is it for the company to have food safety and social responsibility certifications?
It is the most important part to build business relationships with customers.
6. From the social responsibility practices you perform within your company, which one motivates you the most and why?
Contributing to the protection of minors by not hiring minors, having workers equipped with all the tools and resources needed to develop their activities safely, and reducing health risks; by being always respecting of all their labor and social rights, as well as the commitment the company has by caring for the environment.
7. How important do you think is continuous training?
The fact that people do not engage in the same learned techniques and so, they are able to develop a continuous learning.
8. What opportunities do you see for the farming industry in terms of food safety and social responsibility given the current health contingency we are experiencing?
Safety and social responsibility measures are becoming increasingly important in all industries. The farming sector was not as affected as other institutions, but we must reinforce all measures to protect ourselves and to continue operating with the new normal.
9. What benefits has working with Eleven Rivers Growers brought to the company?
The support of Eleven Rivers Growers has contributed to improve the protocols already established and to include the new safety and social responsibility standards, as well as providing a follow up, so that we become a company with the highest standards in quality and food safety.
10. Anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for the support received from Eleven Rivers Growers in training, review and continuous support.